Meet Ava Suppelsa, an internationally recognized 19 year old singer/songwriter currently attending Berklee College of Music. Ava grew up in Evanston, Illinois but has become a respected and popular performer around Boston.
Ava describes her sound as "country music from the city." She was born just outside of Chicago but has been listening to country her whole life, which inevitably brings a city girl pop to her country. The folksy sass of Kacey Musgraves seeps through Ava's vocals, and the Miranda effect is evident. But she also sites Johnny Cash, James Taylor and Maren Morris as influential to her sound. She is cool and passionate all at once.
The Sound Of Suppelsa
Ava recently came to visit our Country 102.5 Studios where we were fortunate to record this video of her original "Nothing with You." Take a look!
Take a listen to this single from Ava, "He Told Me."
- All-time favorite country song: "Girl Crush" by Little Big Town
- Favorite country concerts: Maren Morris, Chris Young, Kelsea Ballerini
- Favorite song you've written: "Finish Line" (off her new EP)
- Favorites now playing on Country 102.5: "Body Like A Backroad" by Sam Hunt, "Living The Dream" by Drake White
- Has opened for: Hunter Hayes, Andrew Belle, and scheduled to open for Clay Cook of Zac Brown Band
- Ava can break dance
- She had the same tour bus driver as Carrie Underwood with the band she was in back in high school
- Went to boarding school to study music in high school
- Is a life-long vegetarian
- Is a trained ballerina
- Competed in figure skating
- Is a pretty good downhill skier and marksman (target shooting)
Ava Live On Stage
- April 7- House Of Brews in Stoughton
- Aprill 23- The Smoke Shop in Cambridge
- May 11- Burlington Marriott in Burlington
Suppelsa on Social
Be sure to tune in Thursday at 12:30 when I catch up with Ava on the air at Country 102.5!
Every week, Kruser's Local Catch highlights New England’s homegrown country music talent, and tells you where to catch them locally and in Nashville. Click here to view previous catches.