Meet Chelsey Carter, a passionate and proficient singer/songwriter from Sherborn, MA, now living in Nashville!
Listening to Chelsey sing conjures up imagines of old Nashville... smokey bars and perhaps another Carter singing on the radio, Carlene. Chelsey is an old soul speaking through a 25 year old. She describes her sound as classic country with a modern pop vibe. Whatever you want to call it, it's refreshing. This Carter has been singing since she was 4 or 5 years old. She plays guitar, paino, banjo, ukelele and sax! Her writing is thoughtful and clever, and she delivers her message with apparent honesty. Her combination of skills, talent and approachable charm has earned Chelsey spots opening for Lonestar, Dylan Scott and Josh Thompson. She's been hired for in-house pre-parties for Zac Brown Band, Garth Brooks, Frankie Ballard and Montgomery Gentry. You may have seen Chelsey performing live during our Street Party last year. Earlier this month, she debuted her EP at a release party at Loretta's Last Call in Boston.
Chelsey Chimes In
On a recent visit to the Country 102.5 Studios, Carter shared her single, "The Captain," off her debut EP
Here's Chelsey performing the title track from her EP, "Nothing Better To Do."
Take a listen to the official single release of "The Captain."
Chelsey Carter Components
- Biggest influences: Miranda Lambert, Brandy Clark, Kacey Musgraves, Vince Gill, Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings
- All-time favorite country song or songs: "Mama's Broken Heart" by Miranda Lambert, "Ol Red"- George Jones and "One More Last Chance" by Vince Gill
- First country concert: Zac Brown Band
- Some favorite songs now playing on Country 102.5: "Dirt On My Boots" by Jon Pardi, "Better Man" from Little Big Town, and Kelsea Ballerini's "Peter Pan"
- If you weren't a musician you would be....: A Disney Princess
- Craziest thing that happened while performing: A proposal from a stranger! "He got down on one knee in the middle of singing a Taylor Swift song. When I took his imaginary ring and tossed it into the crowd (because I was singing "Picture to Burn," so I had to be sassy about it), the place erupted in cheers and laughter. He was disappointed, but hey, you gotta at least buy me dinner before you try and change my name."
- Chelsey likes to race dirt bikes
- She has an unhealthy obsession with tacos
- In high school, one season she scored 53 goals for the varsity hockey team
- Carter can make the "Predator" noise
Check out Chelsey Live!
- No current New England dates, while Chelsea's back in Nashville, but keep checking her calendar on her website (below) for dates to come!
The Carter Connection
Every week, Kruser's Local Catch highlights New England’s homegrown country music talent, and tells you where to catch them locally and in Nashville. Click here to view previous catches.
The Local Catch is powered by Shiner Bock, brewed in Texas since 1909!