When the stage went dark on the finale of American Idol, it was hinted with Ryan Seacrest that a return could be possible. It left a lot of people uneasy at the time. We were having this tearful goodbye with a show that many had sort of lost the love for over the years, yet it still had a nostalgic feel to it that drew us in. But was it going away or making some sort of triumphant return before we could miss it? Well, some believe it is the latter. It's just "too soon."
Regardless, it is coming back and not only with a whole new cast but a new network as well. In fact, quite a bit about the show we once knew will be different. Lets get down to the nitty gritty of it all.
- A new version of American Idol and a new network to watch it on: ABC
- When will it debut? Sunday, March 11th at 8pm-10pm
- Your judges are completely different. When we signed off with AI the first edition, we were hearing constructive critiques from country superstar, Keith Urban, triple threat, Jennifer Lopez and crooner/talk show host extraordinaire Harry Connick Jr. This Reboot brings us country booty shaker, Luke Bryan, pop princess, Katy Perry and r&b legend, Lionel Richie.
- One of the things people loved, yet also loved to hate about the show was the bad boy feedback of Simon Cowell. It's even thought that his departure from the show is why it saw the decline that it did. Will anyone take over that aggressive type role? Turns out, nope.
- You say you loved all those bad auditions? Well, I'm sorry to say - they won't be aired in this new version of American Idol. (I know, I'm bummed, too.)
This go around they're taking a more serious approach and looking for a true talent that can succeed in the business. But, uh, I mean, wasn't that the point of the show this whole time? Except with the fun stuff in there, too? Hmm.
Hey, I'm not knockin' it - it hasn't even aired to review yet. But, I'm like the rest of the world and I don't like change. So, we'll see what happens on March 11th and hope for the best, because as Katy Perry has said it'll be "a waste of time" if it doesn't work this go around and will probably be gone for good, too.