The heat is on—let’s face it. Our faces sweat in the…face of summer’s temps. That sweat can lead to runny, crease-finding make up and clogged pores. The combat the power of the sun, we’ve enlisted the power of the stars. Stephanie Flor (@stephanieflor) has made luminaries including Olivia Wilde, Mariah Carey and others look fabulous year round. Here are Stephanie’s pearls of summer skin wisdom.
Please share some application tips about keeping make up on in the summer heat.
- Makeup Primer oil control spray and setting spray are a non-negotiable for summer heat. It helps control the oil, making makeup last longer and it locks in the foundation in place so it doesn’t move. Dance proof and a must!! Prime the skin with an oil-control spray and then seal the look with a finishing spray. I suggest Skindinavia or Urban Decay’s.
- Skin first, makeup second. In the summer focus more on keeping the skin in top condition. Use oils, eye creams, SPF and really let your skin breathe during the hot days. Maybe toss the foundation and focus on the concealers to just hide under circles and blemishes. It’s too hot to cover your full face with makeup, so take extra care of your skin. Make sure it’s hydrated, by working moisturizers into the skin for at least 10-15 minutes. I also like to use powder in the summer as I can build up through the day and it holds better than cream and liquid foundation.
- Focus on a pop of color on the lips. I love adding a bright magenta or orange red to have fun with your makeup. The summer is all about less fuss and more looking like you just left the beach. Try using lip colors that aren’t heavy and to perfect. I suggest the chubby sticks from Clinque for a pop of color that looks effortless.
- SPF. Look for moisturizers and tinted moisturizers that have SPF. Make sure your skin is protected at all times. SPF also allows your skin to be working while looking great. So when looking for a new foundation for summer, go for something with SPF that can be adjusted with powder, if you do get a little darker.
- Layers. Want to make eyeshadow and lip color last longer with little to no touch- ups? Layer it up.
- Layer your lips with powder, liner and then your lip-color to last longer.
- Eyeshadow — start with a kohl eyeliner at the lash line and work it upwards. Then with an eyeshadow work it into the eyeliner so it has a place to hold and doesn’t move if you’re sweating. It also intensifies the color, making your eyes pop and appear larger.
What are some of your favorite long lasting products and what makes them so special?
- Urban Decay Makeup Setting Spray. It cuts the sweat and allows my clients to look camera ready but with little to no touch-ups.
- Cream colored eyeshadows. Cream is easily blendable and when you use powder on top it helps the shadow last longer. Also works as a great base for a smokey eye.
- Clinique chubby sticks for lips – easy to use and so many colors to choose from. Gives the makeup look a natural finish with the cream lip that doesn’t look to perfect.
- Kohl eyeliners as base for eyeshadows. I love the Nars eyeliners. They don’t move and work as a great base for eyeshadow to be built up and hold in place.
- Skincare oil from Nyakio – your skin will love this oil. It brightens skin and helps restore its luminosity. Great for under make up and also to use when you’re looking to repair the skin, and let it breathe.
After hearing Stephanie’s tips, we came up with ideas for makeup that stays put, skin prep, covering sunburn, multi-taskers, and more:
The Style Neon Super Proof Gel Eyeliner delivers vivid, budge-proof color. The bright, neon hues give an intense pop of color paired with a long-lasting, waterproof, and sweatproof formula that glides on. The collection includes new shades such as Aurora Dress, a vivid pink, Space Tree, a matte khaki black, Universe Mystery, a matte aubergine, and Burning Sunset, a rich wine. (Available at urbanoutfitters.com)
Prep skin for make up and remove excess oil with Murad’s new Pore Extractor Pomegranate Mask. The mask is designed to detox skin, minimize the appearance of pores, and refine texture. Volcanic Clay extracts impurities, Pomegranate Extract to rejuvenate the top layer of skin, and Lactic Acid polishing beads to lift away dirt, debris, and dead skin cells. (Available at murad.com)
Cover a sunburn with the L’Oreal Paris Infallible Total Cover Color Correcting Kit. The green color corrector neutralizes the redness on skin. The Revitalift Bright Reveal Brightening Moisturizer with Broad Spectrum SPF 30 brightens skin with Glycolic Acid, Pro-Retinol, and Vitamin C to brighten skin and correct uneven skin tone. SPF helps protect against UVA and UVB rays. Add some highlight to your face by mixing the True Match Lumi Liquid Glow Illuminator with it or your usual moisturizer. The formula for the new Infallible Matte Lip Paints allows for high impact matte color with a light feel. (Available at lorealparisusa.com)
Another multi-tasker is the Nia Fully Charged Serum X Moisturizer. The serum-infused moisturizer is a does of high-impact hydration and nutrients delivered in one simple step. The lightweight, breathable formula creates an easy canvas for make up while smoothing fine lines and fighting dullness. The Triple-Action Eye Gel is a power nap for eyes by brightening, smoothing, and de-puffing. Light reflecting optics help diminish dark circles. The Energizing Illuminator restores natural glow with light-reflecting ingredients. The fusion of caffeine and ginger revs up dull, lifeless skin. (Available at ulta.com)
Keep lips from drying in the summer heat with the Artistry Signature Color Lipstick. The super-moisturizing formula comes in fifteen full-color shades that won’t feather or bleed. Prep and protect skin with the Ideal Radiance Illuminating CC Cream Broad Spectrum SPF 50. The CC Cream brightens, protects, and tones while protecting skin from sun’s rays. The Concealer Stick provides long lasting, high coverage and is available in six shades. (Available at amway.com)
The JAFRA Royal Jelly Radiance Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 20 teams up full coverage with SPF 20 to protect from the sun. It’s formulated to minimize the appearance of pores and fine lines. It’s also formulated with JAFRA’s Royal Jelly, and ingredient that provides essential nutrients, rich amino acids and Vitamins A, B, D and E to deliver hydration and improve vitality. It’s available in twelve shades. The Royal Jelly Global Longevity Balm is a multi-benefit balm with the RoyalActive Peptide that activates skin’s resistance to aging and environmental stressors. The Revitalizing Sonic Cleanser has soft silicone bristles to lift make up, dirt and oil to remove dead skin cells. (Available at JAFRA.com)
Set make up for all-day wear with iS Clinical Copper Firming Mist. The mist improves skin elasticity, hydrates, provides antioxidant protection, and helps support the protective barrier of the skin. It can also be used to sooth sunburned skin. (Available at dermstore.com)
Keep it light with the StriVectin Stress Defense Hydrating Water Gel — a multi-tasking gel designed to repair, recharge, and fortify tired, over-stressed skin against the causes of present day aging from fast paced lifestyles and lack of sleep. The light formula delivers nutrients and antioxidants to help boost skin’s immunity defenses and strengthens the delicate moisture barrier. (Available at strivectin.com/)