Meet Matt York, a highly skilled singer/songwriter from Pembroke, who's sound is a unique blend of folk, rock and country
There's no way to categorize Matt's music. He has a way of blending genres that make you think he may have created his own. Seasoned, skilled and spirited, York's sound has been heard around Boston for quite a few years. By the time he was in high school, he was playing clubs in town. Matt caught the music bug from his father who was a music fanatic and picked up the guitar around ten years old. He started writing at age 12 and was performing at high school dances by 14. His deepest influences are rooted in rock and outlaw country, primarily from Waylon and Willie. But music isn't his entire life. He is a family man and a full time investigator! He works for a wireless company, by day, investigating fraud issues. Matt met his wife at a show. She is also a musician and was playing in a band. He couldn't work up the courage to introduce himself, so he later invited her to play a show with his band at the Lizard Lounge in Cambridge. That was sixteen years ago, and they have been together ever since!
Matt made his way into our studios recently and shared some originals live with us! Listen to the grunge-tinged, "Never Unsure I Just Keep Moving:"
Digging deep on this one, it's "I Lost My Baby To The Needle," another York original:
- Biggest influences: Willie Nelson, Steve Earle and Townes Van Zandt
- Opened for: Kid Rock, The Motels, John Cafferty, and this summer will open for Easton Corbin and Maddie and Tae
- Band name: Matt York and The Missed Flights. Got the name after a show in Nashville and his bandmates ended up getting stuck at a bar and missed their flights. The airline told them the flight delay would be longer than it actually was!
- All time favorite country songs: "Crazy" by Willie Nelson, "Valentine's Day" by Steve Earle, and virtually anything Billy Joe Shaver has ever written.
- First country concert: Willie Nelson at the Lowell Memorial Auditorium
- Most proud moment: Having his kids comes see him play! "I learned so much from my dad, so it's fun that the kids can come to some of my shows. My wife sometimes plays bass with me, with is also a lot of fun for my girls"
- Other fun facts: Is a licensed private investigator, was once an elected official in the town he lives, grew up in Foxboro and knows more about that Patriots than most any other living human being("This might not be either a talent or true.")
- Friday 2/2: Tuneful Brew Coffeehouse, Duxbury, MA 7:00pm
- Saturday 2/10: Stoughton House of Brews, Stoughton, MA 7:00pm
- Saturday 2/17: Shrine, New York City, 7:00pm
- Saturday 9/8 South Shore Music Festival at the Marshfield Fairgrounds, Marshfield, MA 12:00pm
This Way To York
Every week, Kruser's Local Catch highlights New England’s homegrown country music talent, and tells you where to catch them locally and in Nashville. Click here to view previous catches.
If you would like to be considered for Catch of the Week e-mail your information and a sample of your work to [email protected].