Meet: April Cushman from Swanzey, NH
April was born for this! It's literally in her blood. She grew up in a musical household. Her father was heavily into music, and he was from a family of studio musicians and church performers. So, when April's grandparents gave her a guitar at age five, and her dad taught her a song, there was no going back. It was now tradition, as her grandfather taught her dad a song at age five. Now April is keeping tradition alive, having taught her daughter Maddi the same song at the same age! She says,'Music has always been an outlet for me, and a way to connect back to who I am and who my family is." Who she is...is a talented multi-instrumentalist and singer/songwriter. April has an energy and delivery that is sheer joy, passion and plenty of sass. She rocks her country and pops her blues. She's Wynonna with a side of Gretchen Wilson. In fact, one of her favorite producers described her sound as modern day Wynonna Judd, and to that April says, "I'm going to stick with that!"
April Showers In Song
A recent visit to our Country 102.5 Studios had April sharing some new music. Here's "North Carolina"
No excuse, we just had to bring April's adorable daughter Maddi up to say hi! Here's another Cushman original, "Impossible Excuse"
Check out this studio recording of April's "Must've Been Me."
- Plays: guitar, mandolin,, piano, alto sax, flute, banjo.. anything I can ultimately get my hands on to teach myself!
- Biggest influences: Sheryl Crow, Ashley McBryde, John Mayer, Tom Petty... the list goes on with so many different types of genres and I try to mix a little of them all in my performances. Whatever feels good!
- Has opened for: Lady Antebellum, Darius Rucker, Lee Brice, Russell Dickerson, and will be opening for Chase Rice, Drake White and Mitchell Tenpenny this weekend!
- All-time favorite country song: Right now on country radio it would have to be "Criminal" by Lindsay Ell. She is the female musician I look up to the most, and am inspired by
- Favorite country concert: I'd have to say my favorite country concert will always be Keith Urban - he puts on one of the best shows vocally and emotionally!
- First country concert: My first ever was Braid Paisley, Jason Aldean and Sara Evans at Gillette Stadium
- If you weren't a musician, what would you be doing: I am not sure, because I have been playing music and singing since I was only five, so I'm sure my life would have panned out to be something totally different
- Most proud moment: Being able to have my daughter, Maddi Taylor, who is not only my best friend, but the absolute light of my life, up on stage to sing "Storms Never Last" by Waylon Jennings at the Bellows Falls Opera House in Vermont. There were a few hundred people in attendance and she did an incredible job!
- Crazy thing that happened in your music career: I'd have to say someone throwing an open beer on stage, thinking I would catch it and drink it!
- Frivolous fun facts: I burp, REALLY loudly! I am the catcher for my very own sponsored D-II Greater Keene Women's Softball Association League, The April Cushman Band. I have 8 tattoos and am working on a full sleeve!
- 8/9: The Goat in Portsmouth, NH 9pm -12:30am
- 8/11: Rosencrantz Country Festival: Kensington, NH 11am-3pm
- 8/12: New England Country Music Festival w/ Chase Rice, Drake White and Mitchell Tenpenny
- 8/17: Saddle Up Saloon in Kingston, NH
- 8/18: Delta Dental Stadium Food Truck Festival in Manchester, NH
Every week, Kruser's Local Catch highlights New England’s homegrown country music talent, and tells you where to catch them locally and in Nashville. Click here to view previous catches.
The Local Catch is powered by Shiner Bock, independently brewed in Texas for Boston's independent spirit. Boston is Shiner country!