Meet: April Renzella from Amesbury, MA
If if weren't for April's love of horses, she may not be singing professionally. It was in the barn, growing up in Topsfield, where country music first inspired her. Renzella would spend hours at the barn listening and singing along with the top female artists at the time, from LeAnn Rimes, to Shania and the Dixie Chicks.
April was in kindergarten when she started performing. In fact, it was at her fifth birthday party where she had her first performance on stage! It was "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" that entertained her guests. There was no turning back from there. April had found her something she loved to do and something that drove her to keep pursuing it.
Renzella's voice has a unique bluesy folk rock vibe and her passion is evident. Her songwriting is accomplished, and has earned her 2 awards, nationally. April has a confidence in her performance that draws you in and makes you want to hear more of her story.
An April Day
April Renzella spent an afternoon with us, sharing her original music. First up, a song the first song she wrote in Nashville, "Roll On Back."
Here's something brand new from April, co-written with another Local Catch artist, called "Company."
Renzella On The Record
- Instruments played: I dabble in guitar and piano but when I play out live my guitarist, Eric Giribaldi, joins me
- How would you describe your sound: My sound is a mix of country and independent. I don’t have a natural “twang” being from New England but I did gain some qualities of the 90’s country artists while growing up
- Who inspires you: Kacey Musgraves. She is just unreal in every sense of the word. I think she’s the best thing in Nashville
- All- time favorite country song (songs): "Drive"" by Alan Jackson as an old song, "Stay A Little Longer" by Brothers Osborne as a newer one
- Favorite country concert: Kacey Musgraves
- Current Country 102-5 favorites: "When It Rains It Pours" by Luke Combs makes me smile EVERY time
- If you weren’t a musician, what would you be doing: My full time job is at a biotech company in their marketing department, which I also love! It’s really great to have two careers and love going to each of them every day
- Most proud moment: Winning a national songwriters award for the second time
- Craziest thing that happened in your music career: I met Kacey Musgraves back in February and I was totally starstruck. I had in my mind that maybe she was mean in person but then I met her and she’s just as adorable and nice as I truly thought. I couldn’t speak, I think I told her that she’s “everything”. It was very embarrassing
- Other interests: I have two horses, Classico and Cannoli, and a German Shepherd named Scout so they take up a lot of my time and I wouldn’t want it any other way! I also serve on a horsemen’s council board, volunteer for Big Friends, Little Friends, and I recently started running!
- Fun Facts:
1. I met Scott Stapp, lead singer of Creed, at a bar in Nashville and hung out and chatted about music for 3 hours.
2. I’ve lived in 3 different major cities (Boston, Nashville, and NYC)
3. I have a weird obsession with Pitbull, the singer. But seriously, have you ever listened to a Pitbull song and felt sad? No
4. My hair was in a Super Bowl commercial
- November 10: St. Luke’s Fair in Plaistow, NH 11-11:30am
- November 17: Telly’s in Epping, NH 7-10pm
- November 23: Throwback Brewery in North Hampton, NH on November 23rd from 6-8pm
- December 1: Shane’s Texas Pit in Hampton, NH 7-10pm
- December 7: Holy Grail in Epping, NH 8-11pm
April Renzella Network
The Local Catch is powered by Shiner Bock, independently brewed in Texas for Boston's independent spirit. Boston is Shiner country!
Every week, Kruser's Local Catch highlights New England’s homegrown country music talent, and tells you where to catch them locally and in Nashville. Click here to view previous catches