Meet Madelyn Paquette from Sudbury, MA
Listening to this young artist, makes me feel like the future of music is in good hands. Madelyn is smart, talented, conscientious and relatable. Her lyrics are furnished with a warm intensity and truth. It's clear Paquette is passionate about expressing herself, but she does it with such vocal grace and poise that her message just glides into absorption.
Madelyn grew up in a musical family. She told me, "My dad is the youngest of six kids who all play instruments or sing. One of my uncles is the leader of an amazing jazz big band in Germany!" She believes her love of music was fueled by her environment, always being surrounded by talented, passionate musicians.
There are miles of impressive accolades that have been earned by this singer/songwriter, including winning songwriting competitions in her teens, awards from the National YoungArts Foundation, and being selected a finalist, at 18 years old, for the Presidential Scholar in the Arts. There's no doubt Paquette has been at this for a long time, and there's no doubt she'll be at it for a long time to come. It's part of who she is and who she wants to be. We are fortunate to get to be the ears her destiny has fallen upon.
Music By Madelyn
It had been 2 years since we last featured Madelyn. Last we saw her, she was in high school. She now attends NYU's prestigious Tisch School of the Arts, studying at the Clive Davis Institute of Recorded Music. Home for summer break, Madelyn visited the Country 102.5 studio to share what she has been working on!
Check out MP's originals "Unfinished Business"
A Peek At Paquette
- How old when you started to play: I picked up the guitar and piano when I was about 10 years old and began
writing songs at this time as well
- Instruments played: Guitar and piano
- How would you describe your sound: A fusion of country, pop, and
- Who inspires you: I’m incredibly inspired by female artists and writers
including Carly Pearce, Maren Morris, Kacey Musgraves, Julia Michaels,
Kelsea Ballerini and Lori McKenna. They’re each making strides, being
true to themselves and creating awesome music. Ben Rector, John Mayer
and Keith Urban are also some of my biggest musical influences at the
- Awards/accolades: American Songwriting Awards (ASA) Official Nominee 2015, in two categories,
for two original songs
•Songwriter Universe songwriting contest, Top 5 Winner, Song of the Month,
•National YoungArts Foundation Winner, 2017
•U.S. Presidential Scholar in the Arts Finalist, 2018
- All- time favorite country songs: I have so many… but my go-to will always be “Bless The Broken Road” by
- Favorite country concert: Rascal Flatts AND Keith Urban!
- What songs do you like now on Country 102.5: Right now I’m really loving “Girl” by Maren Morris, “Blue Tacoma” by Russel Dickerson, “Love Someone” by Brett Eldredge, and “We Were” by Keith Urban
- If you weren’t a musician, what would you be doing: If I wasn’t a musician myself… I’d be an artist manager! No matter what I think I was born to have music be a part of what I do. That or… maybe an interior designer
- Day Job (if applicable): I’m a full-time student during the year but in the summer I gig around the Boston area!
- Most proud moment: Whenever I perform and the audience sings my own song lyrics back to me! These are definitely the most incredible and humbling moments of my life. It lets me know that regardless of anything I may be going through, I’m on the right path and that my music
resonates with people
- Craziest thing that ever happened in your music career: One time, I was playing in Boston and a lady came up to me and asked to
take a picture. I told her of course, she then put her purse on the ground and pulls a cat out of it. Next thing I know, Daphne the cat is in my arms and the lady is snapping pics! That and… my entire first year of college at NYU. I study Recorded Music there, and it has been the most
transformative, inspiring, wonderful experience. It feels like a dream to be studying music production and songwriting and the music business and meeting so many talented artists in a place like NYC. Definition of a crazy dream come true!
- Other things you like to do: I love a night in with my girl friends, skiing in the winter, and exploring New York Cit
- 3 Fun Facts:
1. I’m related to a French king who was alive in the year 987. So there’s not MUCH royal blood in me, but there’s a little bit technically
2. My favorite food has always been and will always be sush
3. I’ve broken almost all of my toes
- Mantra: Sometimes the right path is the more difficult one
Madelyn On The Move
- 6/15: Beverly Arts Fest
- 6/16: Faneuil Hall Marketplace
- 6/19: Faneuil Hall Marketplace
- 6/21: Amazing Things Arts Center - Framingham, MA
Every week, Kruser's Local Catch highlights New England’s homegrown country music talent, and tells you where to catch them locally and in Nashville. Click here to view previous catches.
The Local Catch is powered by Shiner Bock, independently brewed in Texas, for Boston's independent spirit. Boston is Shiner country!
*Singer/songwriters with original music: Please submit for consideration on The Local Catch by emailing Kruser at [email protected]