Meet April Cushman from Swanzey, NH
April Cushman has been dreaming of being a full time musician since she was just 6 years old. A few months ago, it happened! The talented singer/songwriter and multi-instrumentalist was able to leave her day job, and make music her solo source of employment. That is a huge accomplishment for any artist. And it’s a testament to her hard work abilities. Girl’s got the goods!
Sassy, sweet, bold and bluesy, Cushman was born to sing . “My dad was always playing guitar and singing with my aunts and in church, so he saw I had a peaked interest for music and taught me how to play acoustic at a young age, and it went from there,” April explained. She was only 5 years old when she started singing. In elementary school, April played in concert band and honors jazz band, where she became proficient at flute, alto saxophone and guitar. Now, she is a mom to 7 year old Maddie, and has kept the tradition alive, by teaching her little girl to play and sing.
April is excited to be releasing her first album, this Spring. The Long Haul is nearly finished, and nearly funded. If you’d like to help you can click HERE .
There is a real artistry in Cushman’s music, and moxie in her soul. When she sings there’s no denying April is doing what she was meant to do… what she loves to do.
April In Action
There’s a lot going on in the music career of April Cushman, and I was lucky to grab a few minutes of her time to have her turn us on to her latest original creations.
Here’s “Once Upon A Time”
Take a look, and listen to this one… “Come Clean”
- Instruments played: Guitar, Piano, Mandolin & a little bit of a lot of others.
- How would you describe your sound: I have been told I fulfill a very country and soulful vibe.
- Biggest influences: As a songwriter, I would honestly have to say that Liz Longley is one of my all-time biggest influences. Not only is she an incredible vocalist, but her ability to capture something so pure is unlike a lot of music nowadays.
- Who have you opened for: I have been honored to have made a lot of appearances both full band and acoustically for many artists, but as far as being on the same bill, some of the biggest names I’ve been represented with, are Chase Rice, Mitchell Tenpenny, Drake White and Ryan Upchurch.
- All- time favorite country song: (or songs if you can’t name just one): Oh man, that’s a tough one.. I would have to honestly go with Jolene by Ray Lamontagne
- Favorite country concert: For sure, Old Dominion. Not only do they hold an audience in such a creative way, but the inspiration they give to musicians watching them and their ability to take songs and play them acoustically and keep the attention of their viewers, is insane.
- First Country concert: Brad Paisley, back in 2009!
- What songs do you like now on Country 102.5: Anything Luke Combs, or country music that is much more on the country and rock side, than the pop side.
- If you weren’t a musician, what would you be doing: Honestly I couldn’t ever imagine not having music in my life and performing, so I guess that one is for a higher power!
- Most proud moment: The day I laid eyes on my daughter.
- Craziest thing that happened in your music career: Having full beer cans thrown at me in the middle of performing like people expect me to catch it mid air and chug it with them is always a good one.. But for the most part, nothing too crazy has ever happened.
- Fun facts: I’m a sucker for music by Billie Eilish – that girl has nutty pipes; I have a gluten allergy; I play on a women’s softball league all summer in my hometown.
April On The Calendar
- Friday 1/10: Wachusett Brewing Company in Westminster, MA
- Friday 1/17: Full Band at Turning Stone Casino in Verona, NY
- Saturday 1/18: Backyard Brewery in Manchester, NH.
- Sunday 1/19: Waterville Valley Ski area
- Wednesday 1/22: The Goat in Portsmouth, NH
- Thursday 1/23: Shorty’s in Nashua, NH
Connect With Cushman
Every week, Kruser’s Local Catch highlights New England’s homegrown country music talent, and tells you where to catch them locally and in Nashville. Click here to view previous catches.
*Singer/songwriters with original music: Please submit for consideration on The Local Catch by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org