Meet Houston Bernard from Boston
There’s something so familiar when listening to Houston Bernard music. It’s a worn out pair of boots, it’s a warm summer breeze, it’s ride in the country… it’s home. Specifically, for this midwestern raised man, it’s Oklahoma. And it’s never very far away in his music. One listen to any of his original songs, and you can feel the “wind come sweepin’ down the plains.” It’s honest, it’s open… it’s John Denver, John Mellancamp and John Michael Montgomery. Houston expertly sews in his love for traditional country and classic rock into every song, whether it’s a rowdy jam or beautiful ballad, and it’s seamless.
Bernard’s country roots run deep. Growing up in Norman , Oklahoma, his father and uncle played in country bands fronted by stars like Tanya Tucker and Sleepy Labeef. He was just 5 years old when he started writing songs of his own. Along the way, he learned piano, guitar and drums.
Since moving to New England, Houston has found a large and passionate following. This singer/songwriter has been performing all over the area for years, opening for some major acts, and continually writing and promoting his music. His drive is unstoppable. The songs keep coming and the amp is always plugged in. Even a pandemic hasn’t kept Houston Bernard from connecting, getting his stories put to music and sharing with his fans.
In Harmony with Houston
Houston Bernard recently released this brand new single, “The Drivin’.” It embraces his love of the neo-traditional. Take a listen:
Back in May, Houston released his original, “American Dream.” The video was played on CMT.
The Book on Bernard
- Grew up in: Norman, Oklahoma Wasilla, Alaska
- Now lives in: Boston
- Current single: “The Drivin'”
- What lead you to music: It found me…
- How old when you started: I started performing professionally at 12 years old
- First song you learned: “Heartbreak Hotel” by Elvis
- Instruments played: Guitar, Piano, Bass, Drums
- How would you describe your sound: Heartland
- Who inspires you: Lately, I really like Brothers Osborne, Luke Combs, and Eric Church
- Awards/accolades: Nominated Country act of the year for the New England Music awards 2015, 2016 and 2018 as well as Video of the year 2016. Nominated Country Artist of the year 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 for Boston Music Awards.
- Dream duet partner: Dolly Parton or Kacey Musgraves
- All- time favorite country song: Take this Job and Shove it by Johnny Paycheck, it always makes me laugh.
- First country concert: Garth Brooks
- If you weren’t a musician, what would you be doing: Living in the Caribbean serving drinks and doing professional massages.
- Day Job: Im medically certified in massage therapy
- Most proud moment: Country 102.5 playing my single on the air. Thank you!
- Crazy thing that happened in your music career: Opening for Montgomery Gentry at the house of blues was pretty awesome and being invited onto their bus to drink moonshine was and experience Ill never forget.
- Fun facts: I play Basketball, Horseback riding, Martial Arts
- Mantra: You only live once
Houston, We Have A Live Stream
- See Houston Bernard live, every Monday at 7:00pm on his Instagram page
Bond with Bernard
Every week, Kruser’s Local Catch highlights New England’s homegrown country music talent, and tells you where to catch them locally and in Nashville. Click here to view previous catches.
Singer/songwriters with original music: Please submit for consideration on The Local Catch by emailing Kruser at email@example.com