Meet Katrina Gustafson from Lynnfield
It’s easy to hear, from her opening lyrics and vocals, who inspired Katrina Gustafson to be a singer/songwriter. Her sound has Swift written all over it. But, make no mistake, her idol is merely an inspiration. Katrina’s music is purely her own.
When Gufstason was just 14 years old, attending a Taylor Swift concert motivated her to pursue music. She wanted to tell her story, and relate her experiences and feelings to music. She found sharing herself to be quite cathartic. What better way to deal with the roller coaster of emotions of being a teenager? It helped her then, and helps her now.
Katrina is currently pursuing a graduate degree in elementary education and hopes to teach kids through music. Her voice is pure, thoughtful and honest, which would serve her well in the classroom. But outside of that, the raw sweetness in her intonation and the emotional connection Katrina delivers is enough to draw anyone with a heartbeat in.
Take a listen to Katrina Gustafson’s new song, “Good Boys Finish Last.”
The goods on Gustafson
- From/Grew up/Lives in : Lynnfield, MA
- Current single: “Good Boys Finish Last.” Katrina describes it as ” a head-tilting title at first, but the meaning behind it is that it’s about finding the person you’re meant to be with forever; And after all, the person you marry is the last person you date! It touches upon the goofy parts of a relationship that brings out the best in both partners. This song was inspired by my boyfriend that I have happily been together with for over a year.” Look for an album coming in January 2021, that Katrina will write and produce!
- What lead you to music: I’ve always loved poetry and I had this epiphany when I went to Taylor Swift’s Speak Now Tour in 2011 that I wanted to be a songwriter. Telling a story through a melody and words is something so special. So, my dad, who is also a musician, showed me a few chords and it took off from there. Writing songs has been a way for me to cope with the ups and downs of life since then.
- How old when you started: 14
- First country song you learned: “Fearless” by Taylor Swift
- Instruments played: Guitar, banjo, mandolin, piano, ukulele
- How would you describe your sound: Country pop/folk
- Who inspires you: Taylor Swift, Kelsea Ballerini, Lori Mckenna
- Awards: Won a radio station songwriting contest, which lead to her opening for David Gray
- Dream duet partner: Taylor Swift (Have you noticed I really love her? Cause I didn’t)
- All time favorite country song (or songs if you can’t name one): “Jolene” by Dolly Parton, “Big Big Plans” by Chris Lane, “Things a Man Oughta Know” by Lainey Wilson
- First country concert: Kenny Chesney (Country Fest)
- What songs do you like now on Country 1025: So many: “Hole in The Bottle” By Kelsea Ballerini, “Hard to Forget” by Sam Hunt, “The Good Ones” by Gabby Barrett, and basically any Morgan Wallen song
- If you weren’t a musician, what would you be doing: An elementary school teacher
- Day job: Grad student in education
- Most proud moment: Singing my songs at the Bluebird Cafe in Nashville, TN!
- Crazy thing that happened in your music career: In 2016, I auditioned for the voice and the producers loved my voice so I got a second audition in New York City. At that time, I was young and didn’t have much stage presence so they had to pass up on me. Still such an amazing experience and I’ve grown since then.
- Other things you like to do: Drinking wine and watching the bachelor/bachelorette 🙂
- 3 fun facts: I love dogs (that’s an understatement), I paint/ do calligraphy, and I am a sucker for sangria!
- Mantra: “Nevertheless, she persisted”
- Gigs: Check social for periodic acoustic shows
Katrina and the Web