Meet Martin and Kelly
From the first glances at each other on stage, to the first notes out of their mouths… you can see, feel and hear the chemistry of this popular duo. Martin and Kelly have an undeniable charm that is truly infectious. They are so comfortable with each other, it puts their audience immediately at ease. The talented twosome take fun seriously, and seemingly effortlessly draw you in for the ride.
Jilly Martin and Ryan Brooks Kelly were solo acts before combing their talents in 2014. This combo seemed custom fitted. Jilly has been on stage for most of her life, and it shows in her engaging, energetic presence. Ryan is clearly comfortable in the spotlight, and a seriously skilled guitar player. Jilly’s vocals are as effective delivered tenderly, or booming. And when Martin and Kellly’s voices come together, their harmonies are seamless.
Over the last 6 years Jilly and Ryan have built a successful business from their musical partnership; Writing, recording, touring, and marketing themselves into one of the most sought-after live acts in New England. They have also always been willing to help out with causes that needed their voices. This duo’s charm extends far beyond their chemistry and talent.
Play M & K
New music: “Look For The Helpers.”
Jilly and Ryan were inspired to write this song early in the summer, after her father repeatedly encouraged them to write something for the first responders and essential workers. According to Jilly, “I always like the Mister Rogers quote that said, “Look for the helpers, there are always people who are helping.” The result is a touching and eloquent appeal to find hope in dark times by helping others, or recognizing the bravery and selflessness of those who help.
The Martin and Kelly Story
- Name: Martin and Kelly- It’s our last names, and boy can we confuse people with that! (We had considered Heartland Express- to stick with the trucking company theme of country bands- Midland, Old Dominion, Lanco … 🙂 Stuck with our last names… for now!
- Currently resides in: New England
- Hometowns: Chelmsford, MA and Hudson, NH
- How did you come together and when: Ryan was putting together an EP and needed a female duet partner for some of the tunes. We started playing shows together shortly after that! It was about 7 years ago now, but it only seems like 2!
- Band Members and Instruments: Jilly Martin- Lead vocals/ Acoustic Guitar, Ryan Brooks Kelly- Lead Vocals/Lead Electric and Acoustic Guitar, James McCarthy- Drums, Jim Gregoire- Bass Guitar
- How would you describe your sound: Modern twist on Classic Country
- Biggest influences: Brad Paisley, Miranda Lambert, Buck Owens, Loretta Lynn and so many more!
- Which artist was the most fun that you opened for: Willie Nelson at the Outlaw Festival!
- All time favorite country song: “Always on My Mind” – Willie Nelson
- Current favorites on Country 102-5: “Happy Anywhere” – Blake Shelton, “Hole in the Bottle” Kelsea Ballerini
- Day jobs: We both do Music full time!
- Most proud moment: Playing the Outlaw Music Festival at Bank of NH Pavilion!
- Craziest thing that ever happened in your music career: Getting invited to sing on stage with the Oak Ridge Boys was pretty awesome!
- Fun Facts: Jilly rides horses and would love to do so competitively, but we just don’t have the time! Ryan collects rare bourbons and loves hunting for them. We both love antiquing on the road
- Mantra: Do what you love, love what you do! AND, stay in your lane 😉
Every week, Kruser’s Local Catch highlights New England’s homegrown country music talent, and tells you where to catch them locally and in Nashville. Click here to view previous catches.
*Singer/songwriters with original music: Please submit for consideration on The Local Catch by emailing: email@example.com