Meet Jake and Jenny, a duo from southeastern MA
Simplicity is a beautiful thing. If we’ve learned nothing else from the pandemic, we’ve learned that. Enjoying sunsets, comfy clothes, home cooked meals, and music stripped down. We saw live performances, but most of them were acoustic, and on line. But didn’t you come to appreciate acoustic music more than ever?
The authenticity of Jake and Jenny’s music is refreshing. It’s pure. Free from big production complications, the story is easily heard and understood. The story leads you and the melody keeps you.
On paper, this duo seems unlikely. They are from different parts of the country, different backgrounds. She’s a city girl, he’s a country boy, yet they find strength and harmony in their individuality.
When I first heard “Wine and Whiskey” my thoughts went immediately to the sounds and the simplicity of folk music in the 1960s and 70s. Like many of the folk acts of the time, Peter, Paul and Mary didn’t need much but their voices, their stories and their guitars. I sense that in the music of Jake and Jenny. Their latest song is very reminiscent of this era and the genre. They cut through all of the noise and distraction to have their songs be heard, as intended. And it’s melodic clarity.
Jake and Jenny Jam
Described as a “lighthearted, fun musical vacation” Jake and Jenny quench your thirst for an escape with “Wine and Whiskey”
Just the facts
- Names: Jake Diorio and Jenny Markell
- From: Southeastern MA
- Grew up in: Jake – Pennsylvania Jenny- Norwood, MA
- Now lives in: Jake- Middleboro Jenny- Easton
- Current single: ‘Wine and Whiskey’- off self titled EP
- What lead you to music: Jake- to play guitar: his mom took him to the Martin Factory in PA; Jenny- from the age of three I would perform on the fireplace “stage” of my living room and belt “Total Eclipse of the Heart” into a hairbrush
- How old when you started: Jake-12 for guitar, 8 in general Jenny- singing from the time she could speak!
- First country song you learned: Jake- Sweet Home Alabama Jenny-Better Man
- Instruments played: Jake- guitar, bass; Jenny- picks at a guitar occasionally but not well!
- How would you describe your sound: A unique mix of classic country, modern country, and influences from other genres.
- Who inspires you: Jake- Drake White; Jenny- Dolly! I absolutely love her story, work ethic, longevity and attitude toward life! Also Lori McKenna- she gave me hope that as a mother you can still achieve your dreams and be your true self.
- If you are a band, how did you get your name: We took the easy route and went with nicknames!
- Awards/accolades: Included on BAM UK’s “Ones to Watch” Spotify playlist; been played on radio in UK, Australia, and Luxembourg
- Dream duet partner: We already have each other!
- All- time favorite country song: Jake-Red Dirt Road, Brooks and Dunn. Jenny- Girl Crush; Better Man; Take Me Home, Country Roads
- First country concert: Jake- Brooks and Dunn; Jenny- Zac Brown Band
- What songs do you like now on Country 1025: Jake- Starting Over, Stapleton. Jenny- Hell of a View, Eric Church
- If you weren’t a musician, what would you be doing: I guess our current day jobs!
- Day Job: Jake- HVAC engineer; Jenny- 5th grade teacher in Easton
- Most proud moment: Hearing our music played on the radio and seeing on streaming platforms like iTunes and Spotify; recording our first EP
- Crazy thing that happened in your music career: Nothing crazy yet, but if anyone has any ideas we are up for it!
- Other things you like to do: Jake: beer, grilling/smoking meat; Jenny: read, run, shop, buy shoes, hang out with my kids, annoy Jake
- Fun facts: Jake: Flyers fan; can fix just about anything; Jenny: love Boston sports; can gurgle pretty much any song; break all the things Jake fixes
- Mantra: Don’t take yourself too seriously- you have to laugh at yourself!
Join Jake and Jenny
The Road Show
- 4/23 Wachusett Brewery- Westminster, MA
- 5/15 Slater’s at Indian Ranch- Webster, MA
- 5/22 10th District Brewing- Abington, MA
Every week, Kruser’s Local Catch highlights New England’s homegrown country music talent, and tells you where to catch them locally and in Nashville. Click here to view previous catches.
*Singer/songwriters with original music: Please submit for consideration on The Local Catch by emailing: email@example.com