Meet Katrina Gustafson from Lynnfield
Talented, ambitious, relatable, and driven; Katrina Gustafson has put her music career into her own hands, and has put out an impressive collection of songs. The school teacher by day has recently released her first full length album, Unspoken, which she wrote and produced. According to Gustafson, the album is “a collections of untold stories, memories and feelings. Everything I have wanted to say is express in these lyrics.”
Inspired by the songs and careers of Taylor Swift and Shania Twain, as her music evolves she leans toward a Kacey Musgraves vibe. Serving up well crafted lyrics with melodies that take you on a voyage, from playful to thoughtful, Katrina captures the moment through her music. Her vocals lean country, but the production is pure pop.
Katrina’s latest release, “TGIF” takes us on a girls night out.
Cue up Katrina
- Grew up in: Lynnfield, Massachusetts
- Now Lives in: Milford, New Hampshire
- Current single, EP, or Album: My second single is called “TGIF” from my album “Unspoken”!
- What is your song about/ how did it come to be: I pretty much wrote this song as a girl version of “Down To The Honkytonk” by Jake Owen! It involves a girls night out, karaoke, and some Shania Twain. 🙂
- What led you to music: Ever since I saw Taylor Swift live in 2011, my dream has always been to write songs and connect with people the way she does. I learned how to play guitar and it took off from there!
- How old when you started: I was 13 when I started writing and singing in front of anyone and I was 14 when I started professionally singing as my job.
- First country song you learned: Fearless by Taylor Swift
- Instruments played: Guitar, piano, ukulele, mandolin, banjo
- How would you describe your sound: I think I have evolved more into a very pop country. Now that I have been producing my own songs, I like to experiment with different sounds. My inspiration currently is the way Niko Moon produces his music!
- Who inspires you: Taylor Swift, Shania Twain, Kelsea Ballerini and more currently I love Ingrid Andress and Niko Moon…how they write, produce, perform etc.
- Awards: 2014 Music Matters Songwriting Contest first place winner
- Dream duet partner: Taylor Swift
- All-Time Favorite Country song: I really can’t pick one! Currently, constantly listening to “Any Man of Mine” by Shania Twain, “Waste of Lime” by Ingrid Andress, “Paradise to Me” by Niko Moon
- First Country Concert: Kenny Chesney
- What songs do you like now on Country 1025: Anytime Luke Combs comes on!
- If you weren’t a musician, what would you be doing: I am a teacher by day and country singer by night! 🙂
- Most proud moment: Performing at the Bluebird Cafe and producing/writing my album.
- Crazy thing that happened in your music career: First thing, would be auditioning for the Voice and second, being on Country 1025 again!!
- Other things you like to do: Spend my time in either Target or TJMaxx!
- Fun facts: I have a fear of heights. Fried pickles are my favorite treat. I have a rescue dog from Puerto Rico named Taffy.
Gustafson on the Go
- Fryeburg Fair– October 9th 9:00am – 12:00pm
- Flatbread Pizza- November 24th 6:30pm – 8:30pm
The Katrina Arena
Every week, Kruser’s Local Catch highlights New England’s homegrown country music talent, and tells you where to catch them locally and in Nashville. Click here to view previous catches.
*Singer/songwriters with original music: Please submit for consideration on The Local Catch by emailing Kruser at email@example.com