Meet April Cushman from Swanzey, NH
April Cushman recently released a song called, “Ain’t No Stopping You.” It may have meant to serve as an inspiration to others, but when you listen to it, there’s no doubt…there ain’t no stopping April! It’s rockin’-rollickin’-girl anthem sparks an exhilaration that is sure to propel the ears it falls upon to pick up, jump in and move on.
This New England singer/songwriter certainly knows how to move on. In 2020, she made the move to a full time music career. This past November, Cushman moved out her debut full-length album. Another move…she recently was accepted into a prestigious songwriter master class with a hit songwriter. April is making all the right moves, and the right music, right now. She’s matured by leaps and bounds as a songwriter, since we first met. Same soulful moxie and passion, only now enhanced by a confidence that comes from hard work, success, and of course, the right moves.
April Showers Us With New Music
The Long Haul, Cushman’s debut album was recently released. She shared these thoughts on it: “This album has been years in the making, since it was supposed to be recorded and released in Spring of 202. Then, when COVID first hit, everything totally got put on hold. So, I’m super happy to take all of the stories that have come to be, throughout the last handful of years of writing, and finally release them to the world!”
Btw, the album recently hit over 130,00 total album streams on Spotify.
Push play to put some motivation in your day. Here’s the studio version of April’s original “Ain’t No Stopping You”
This is the acoustic video for “Ain’t No Stopping You.”
- Grew up in: BROOKLINE, NH
- Now lives in: SWANZEY, NH
- Current release: DEBUT ALBUM RELEASED IN NOVEMBER, 2021: The Long Haul
- What lead you to music: I HAVE BEEN SINGING AND PLAYING FOR AS LONG AS I CAN REMEMBER; I WAS HEAVILY INSPIRED GOING TO AND SINGING IN THE CHILDREN’S CHOIR AT CHURCH WHEN I WAS REALLY YOUNG.
- How old when you started: I FIRST PICKED UP AN ACOUSTIC AT 5 YEARS OLD, AND THE REST IS HISTORY!
- First country song you learned: OH THATS A TOUGH ONE TO RECALL.. BUT I’M GOING TO SAY “YOU’RE STILL THE ONE” BY SHANIA TWAIN, SINCE I REMEMBER SINGING AND PLAYING THAT SONG SO MUCH.. THAT ENTIRE RECORD, REALLY!
- Instruments played: RIGHT NOW MY MAIN FOCUS IS GUITAR, AND RE-LEARNING HOW TO PLAY LEADS. BUT IN LIFE IVE PICKED UP : FLUTE, ALTO SAXOPHONE, MANDOLIN AND PIANO.
- How would you describe your sound: APRIL CUSHMAN. 😉
- Who inspires you: MY BIGGEST SONGWRITER INSPIRATION RIGHT NOW WOULD HAVE TO BE LIZ LONGLEY AND LORI MCKENNA. BOTH THESE LADIES HAVE SUCH A WAY OF MAKING YOU FEEL EXACTLY WHAT THEY FELT WHEN THEY WROTE THEIR TUNES AND ITS INCREDIBLE. WHEN IT CAN GRAB YOUR SOUL AND TURN IT INSIDE OUT – THATS THE GAME CHANGER.
- Dream duet partner: JOHN LEGEND
- All- time favorite country song: IT FEELS VERY COUNTRY TO ME, SO IM GOING TO SAY “DESPERATO” BY THE EAGLES.
- First country concert: BRAD PAISLEY
- What songs do you like now on Country 1025: ANYTHING ASHLEY MCBRYDE.. ALWAYS.
- If you weren’t a musician, what would you be doing: I HONESTLY WOULD PROBABLY BE STUCK IN THE CORPORATE CUBICAL GRIND – THATS WHAT I WAS DOING BEFORE I DECIDED TO PURSUE MUSIC FULL TIME.
- Day Job (if applicable): I AM A FULL TIME MUSICIAN.
- Most proud moment: SEEING MY LITTLE GIRL GET IN STAGE IN FRONT OF HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE AND SING “STORMS NEVER LAST” BY WAYLON JENNINGS AT JUST 3 YEARS OLD.
- Crazy thing that happened in your music career: I DONT EVEN HAVE ANY TO POINT A FINGER ON – FANS ARE WILD, THAT’S ALL I CAN SAY LOL
- Other things you like to do: I LIKE TO HANG OUT WITH OUR FARM ANIMALS, AND SPEND TIME WITH MY DAUGHTER DOING CRAFTS. I’M ALSO A SUCKER FOR A GOOD CRICUT PROJECT!
- Fun facts: I AM A CATCHER FOR A WOMENS SOFTBALL TEAM. I LOVE PICKLES. *I GET CRAZY MIGRAINES AND HAVE SUFFERED WITH THEM SINCE I WAS 6.
- Mantra: YOLO!
April On Stage
(many more dates available on website)
- 1/25: TD Garden. 7:30pm. National Anthem. Boston Celtics
- 2/27: Bank of NH Stage, Concord, NH with our talented Boston friends, Scarlett Drive
The Cushman Connection
Every week, Kruser’s Local Catch highlights New England’s homegrown country music talent, and tells you where to catch them locally and in Nashville. Click here to view previous catches.
*Singer/songwriters with original music: Please submit for consideration on The Local Catch by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org