Most Of Us Know Xylitol Is Toxic To Dogs, But Now It’s Being Labeled This
Most know that the artificial sweetener called xylitol is toxic to dogs, it’s found in sugar-free products like breath mints, chewing gum, even peanut butter.
However, it’s recently been noted that more and more products are swapping the labeling of “xylitol” for “birch sugar” or “birch sap.”
Xylitol Is Toxic To Dogs, No Matter What It’s Named
Make no mistake, even though birch sugar and sap sounds naturally pleasant, it’s still toxic to dogs, so you need to be vigilant when looking at the ingredients label before you give your dog anything.
“This is tricky for us as pet owners, because if we know ‘xylitol’ but not ‘birch sugar,’ we won’t be looking for it,” said Dr. Camille Torres-Henderson, veterinary nutritionist at Colorado State University.
Dr. Torres-Henderson also reminds us that even one taste of xylitol is enough to make a dog sick.
“Dogs are more susceptible because they have more sweet receptors in their taste buds, so they’re generally more interested in products containing xylitol,” Torres-Henderson said. “Even though cats can’t taste sweet as well as dogs can, they’re still at risk.”
If your dog does ingest something with xylitol, or birch sugar/sap, it’s important you get them emergency veterinary care right away.