If you live in Boston and don’t have a car, apparently there’s nothing to worry about. Boston has just been named The Best U.S. City To Live Without A Car. This is according to a study by CoworkingCafe, that puts Boston in the #1 spot. Listen, it’s great to be #1. Bostonians have a lot of pride. But this list, or at least Boston’s part in it, is complete BS.
Tell me about this study – The best U.S. city to live without a car
The people at Coworking Cafe analyzed data from 331 U.S. Cities. All these cities had a population of more than 100,000. Here are the metrics they used.
- Share of the adult population that uses public transportation
- Share of the adult population that prefers to walk
- Share of the adult population that prefers to bike
- Share of the adult population that commutes using cabs, motorcycles, or other similar vehicles
- The density of public transit stations per square mile
- The average price of an adult base fare on public transportation
Each city was then given a total score out of a possible 100 points.
Some of the main outcomes
Before we get to how Boston got to #1, lets see how some of the others cities made the list. New York City made the list because of the large number of people that use public transportation. Eugene, OR and San Francisco, CA both have high bike lane density. And Washington, D.C. has a high density of coworking space.
So why call BS on these results? Read on for more on The best U.S. city to live without a car.