Because life is a song, and country music is life…let’s try to sum up this anything-but-normal year in country song titles.
Feel free to comment on what other songs you think would be a good fit for life as we knew it in 2020.
- Roller Coaster: Luke Bryan. What a ride it’s been! In a year filled with tight turns and steep slopes, nothing really describes it better than the popular amusement park ride, that has us throwing our hands up in the air and screaming. Although the amusement was slim, the hills were definitely abrupt and excessive, at times, only leveled out by feelings of security at being home, walks in the woods, comfort food and cocktails.
2. Hard To Forget: Sam Hunt. Seriously, how could we ever forget! One of this year’s biggest hits’ title says a lot. This will be a story we tell our grandkids over and over, one day. All we can hope for is that lessons were learned, humor was in tact, and the weight comes off.
3. Six Feet Apart: Luke Combs. 2020 was the year we learned quite a few new terms. Among the most used, “social distancing.” This was the thing we heard over and over. This was a way of life in public. The bar was set at 6 feet, because research showed that was a safe distance to avoid contracting the coronavirus. Luke Combs sat down one day and wrote a song about it.
4. Drinking Alone: Carrie Underwood. What normally would be a very social activity, became an at home pastime. Netflix and drinking alone were too often on the menu.
5. To Hell and Back: Maren Morris. We’ve been there. We’ve done that. We’ve survived.
6. Some Beach Some Where: Blake Shelton. Exactly where we all dreamed of being in 2020, but weren’t allowed to go. Unless you lived there already. Our travel plans and vacations were all put on hold. Hopefully in 2021 that beach will be within reach!
7. No I in Beer: Brad Paisley. Because, ultimately, we need each other to get through tough times… “‘Cause we’re all in this together. That’s why God put us here. Drinkin’ oughta be a team effort. There is no “I” in beer”
8. Done: Chris Janson. Yes, we are all done with 2020! If we do the right things, and are nice to each other, 2021 could be the year for another Chris Janson song “Good Vibes!”
9. If You’re Going Through Hell: Rodney Atkins . Just the inspiration we need heading into a new year. “But the good news is there’s angels everywhere out on the street. Holdin’ out a hand to pull you back up on your feet. The one’s that you’ve been draggin’ for so long. You’re on your knees might as well be prayin’.Guess what I’m sayin’… If you’re goin’ through hell keep on going, Don’t slow down if you’re scared don’t show it. You might get out before the devil even knows you’re there. Yeah if you’re goin’ through hell keep on movin’
Face that fire walk right through it. You might get out before the devil even knows you’re there.”
10. Hole In The Bottle: Kelsea Ballerini. Thank you for this song, Kelsea. It’s lightheartedness made us all feel alright about our over indulging. Symbolically, the hole could represent our need to fill the emptiness, the loneliness, the fear of the unknown, and the world around us. Or it just could be taken at face value, we were all stuck at home, and wine was easily available. Cheers to better things, and better wine in 2021!