In the world of veterinary medicine, there exists an unsung hero. This unsung hero is my sister, Dr. Arianna Hendry. She’s a dedicated veterinarian in Portsmouth, NH who has witnessed an astonishing variety of items that find their way into dogs’ digestive systems. You won’t believe the amount of things dogs eat that they shouldn’t! Here is Dr. Arianna with one of her patients at Lafayette Animal Hospital.
Gross Things Dogs Eat- What Happens Then They Do This?
The consequences of foreign objects in a dog’s stomach can be severe. These items can obstruct the digestive system, leading to severe discomfort, vomiting, and loss of appetite. In some cases, they may cause life-threatening conditions like intestinal blockages, perforations, or internal bleeding. Rapid diagnosis and surgery become the only options to save the lives of these furry patients.
Sadly, my sister has had to open up many dogs’ stomachs because of things they’ve eaten. Many times she can make them throw up the item, like she had to with her dog, Artemus.
A Preventable Predicament
While Dr. Arianna skillfully retrieves these objects from dogs’ stomachs, she often wonders why such situations arise in the first place. The truth is, most of these surgeries could be avoided if pet owners were vigilant about keeping these items out of their pets’ reach. A simple act of picking up after ourselves can make all the difference. Make sure your floors are free of small objects, including baby spoons, toys, rocks, and laundry.
Educating Pet Owners
To combat this preventable situation, my sister goes above and beyond her duties as a veterinarian. She dedicates time to educating pet owners about the hidden dangers that may exist within their homes. She emphasizes the importance of proper supervision and creating pet-friendly environments that minimize the risk of foreign object ingestion. By raising awareness and encouraging responsible pet ownership, she hopes to significantly reduce the number of surgeries needed to remove these objects.