Catch Of The Week: Chris Moreno
Meet Chris Moreno from Northboro
The grit in Chris Moreno’s voice, and his approach, adds so much texture to his songs. Every word seems to be more honest, more from the heart. There’s real emotion in the moxie, strength in the tenderness.
Since moving to Nashville a few years ago, it’s been a grind for this New Englander. But he’s never wavered from his truth or his mission to make music his way. Moreno has an edge, but it’s a polished, call it an accomplished edge, Yet his rock, rough around the edges vibe is completely approachable; much like a Bostonian. There’s a tender center once you break through that hard shell.
Chris’ route to his truth is filled with rock roads, pop streets and county fields. The singer/songwriter has earned legions of fans across the country, performing his original music. He’s reached some major milestones with his songs on Spotify and TikTok. He has the talent, the songs, the sound, and the drive to make it in a business that’s even harder to break than a Bostonian.
A Chris Hit
“Running In Place”- Moreno’s latest single release is about “an on & off again relationship and the struggles of trying to fully move on once a relationship has ended.” He added, “I wrote it with some great co-writer friends of mine and it quickly became a fan favorite so I decided to release it.” It’s become a huge TikTok hit.
More On Moreno
- From: Boston
- Grew up in: Northborough, MA
- Now lives in: Nashville, TN
- Current single: “Running in Place”
- What is your song about/how did it come to be: It’s about an on & off again relationship and the struggles of trying to fully move on once a relationship has ended. I wrote it with some great co-writer friends of mine and it quickly became a fan favorite so I decided to release it.
- What lead you to music: As a kid I never felt more alive than when I was just listening to music. I would lock myself in my room after school and practice guitar and listen to albums. To me the most rewarding thing to ever strive for would be to be able to give that same feeling to others with my own music.
- How old when you started: I got my first guitar at 11 years old.
- First country song you learned: First country song “You don’t know her like I do” – Brantley Gilbert. First ever song was “Glycerine” by Bush.
- Instruments played: Guitar/ vocals
- How would you describe your sound: Matchbox 20 meets new country
- Who inspires you: Goo Goo dolls, Matchbox 20, Aerosmith & so many others
- Awards/accolades: Over 6 million streams across all platforms + Nominations for Boston & New England music awards
- Dream duet partner: Chris Daughtry
- All- time favorite country song: Red light – David Nail
- First country concert: Rascal Flatts
- What songs do you like now on Country 1025: Anything by Jordan Davis
- If you weren’t a musician, what would you be doing: Fun fact, I had an advertising sales job for 10 years before I quit to do music full time. It was a great experience, but aside from music my passion lies in fitness, so potentially something with that.
- Most proud moment: Hitting one million Spotify streams on my original song “Used to This”
- Crazy thing that happened in your music career: Having one of my songs (Running in place) get over 2 million tiktok views which lead to it being my biggest release yet out of the gate.
- Other things you like to do: Travel, read, write, fitness
- Fun facts: I used to play in a hard rock band where I would scream more than I sang. I’m Italian but my last name is spelt as if I were spanish. My friends all call me “Chino”
- Mantra: If not now, when?
Don’t Miss Chris
- 4/16/22: Six String Grill and Stage, Foxboro
- 5/14/22: Cookeville TN -wth David Nail
Connect With Chris Moreno
Every week, Kruser’s Local Catch highlights New England’s homegrown country music talent, and tells you where to catch them locally and in Nashville. Click here to view previous catches.
Singer/songwriters with original music: Please submit for consideration on The Local Catch by emailing Kruser at email@example.com