Massachusetts Man Inhales Record-Setting Number of Bagels on National Bagel Day!
Massachusetts Mans Wins Bagel Eating Contest!
I don’t know how you celebrated National Bagel Day this past Sunday, January 15th. But I can guess it wasn’t with as much gusto as Geoffrey Esper.
Esper, who is from Oxford, Mass., wolfed down 17 and 3/4 bagels – complete with cream cheese! – at the Siegel’s Bagelmania World Bagel Eating Championship in Las Vegas
Yes, on National Bagel Day, horked his way to the honor, downing the bagels Sunday morning at the delicatessen off the Strip in eight minutes. He won $7,500 in cash prizes.
Coming in second? Nick Wehry of Tampa, Fla., who only came in second after scoffing only 14 3/4 bagels.
So how did this Massachusetts Mans Win a Bagel Eating Contest? When it comes to eating bagels, Esper is a pioneer.
It’s the first time Major League Eating has held an event featuring bagels, according to 8newsnow.com in Vegas.
According to Esper’s “bib sheet” on MajorLeagueEating.com, Geoffrey Esper “is a quiet, industrious man who says very little but eats very much.
“It is said the first word he ever spoke was “work.” He is a true multi-disciplinary eater—as comfortable eating 83 slices of John’s Incredible Pizza in 10 minutes as he is in eating 281 Hooters wings in the same amount of time.
“He is the 2017 and 2019 Hooters wing-eating Champion and the champion of the Fortune Bay Indian Taco and the Jack’s Donuts Donut Holes.
“As of July, 2022, he holds 14 world records.
“He does not boast about these and many other achievements, though. He is defined by humility and a strength of character all too rare these days. MLE officials have, though, seen him smile, despite reports to the contrary.
Inhaling bagels is NOT an easy feat!
“They were tough to eat,” he told FOX 5 Vegas. “But that’s the type of bagel I like, with the nice crispy outside and they put a little bit of cream cheese on it. I thought it was delicious.”
Here are his stats:
- SPAM 9.75 pounds of SPAM from the can/ SPAMARAMA at Circuit of the Americas / 8 minutes / October 23, 2021
- Chicken Wings, 12 minutes 281 Buffalo Chicken Wings / 12 minutes / September 1, 2019
- Corn Dogs (3 mins) 11 5.6oz Corn Dogs / Clowndog Hot Dog Parlor / 3 minutes / October 1st, 2022
- Brats (4.5oz) 36 4.5oz Brats / Snowbird / 10 Minutes / Aug. 24, 2019
- Fortune Bay Indian tacos 39 Fortune Bay Indian Tacos / Tower, MN / 8 minutes / November 2, 2019
- 10″ Pizza 83 Slices / Johns Incredible Pizza Co. / 10 Minutes / April 22, 2018
- Æbleskivers 107 Æbleskivers / Tivoli Fest Elk Horn, IA / 8 Minutes / May 26, 2018
- Tamales (2oz) 95 2oz Market Street Tamales / Lewisville Western Days Festival / 10 Minutes / September 28, 2019
- Jack’s Donut Holes 293 Jack’s Donut Holes / New Castle, IN / 8 minutes / May 27th, 2022
- Egg Rolls 32.25 4oz Outlaw Egg Rolls / Lubbock, TX / 8 minutes / June 11th, 2022
- Banana Pudding 15.5lbs Apple Lane Farms Banana Pudding / Madison, AL / 8 minutes / August 5th, 2022
- Brats (3.2oz) 76 3.2oz Glier’s Brats / Oktoberfest Zinzinnati / 10 Minutes / Sep. 18th, 2022
Here’s Esper wolfing down spaghetti and meatballs: