Catch Of The Week: Matt York
Meet Matt York from Pembroke, MA
Matt York could teach a course in songwriting. A consummate wordsmith with an obvious passion for the mighty pen, York’s life experiences have provided plenty of fodder. The singer/songwriter’s inspiration road map has taken him from Willie Nelson to Lou Reed, and beyond. Lyrically, Matt wears his heart on his sleeve, which perfectly compliments his honey whiskey vocals.
- From: Pembroke, MA
- Grew up in: Foxboro, MA
- Now lives in: Pembroke, MA
- Current single, and or EP or Album: Bruisable Heart released September, 2019
- What led you to music: I honestly don’t remember not loving and/or being consumed by music. Music has been a huge part of my life since I was old enough to sit and listen to my dad’ record player and read all the liner notes of the LPs he owned.
- How old when you started: I was pretty precocious. I started playing guitar at eleven and started playing the clubs in Boston when I was about fifteen.
- Instruments played: I’m a good guitarist. I’m average at a several other instruments.
- How would you describe your sound: I’m influenced by both rock and country artists. My musical heroes are Steve Earle, Lou Reed and Willie Nelson.
- Who inspires you: Musically, I’m inspired by people that try to create music that impacts people, whether it be socially or emotionally. I just love great songs and any time I hear one, I’m inspired to work harder at my craft.
- Awards/accolades: I’ve been nominated the past two years by the New England Awards as “Best Male Artist” and my new album was just named one of boston.com’s “Top Albums of 2019”.
- Dream duet partner: Emmylou Harris or Margo Price
- All- time favorite country songs: “Always on my Mind” by Willie Nelson or “He Stopped Loving Her Today” by George Jones.
- First country concert: Willie Nelson
- If you weren’t a musician, what would you be doing: I’ve had day jobs through the years, but I define myself as a musician. I haven’t a clue what I’d do otherwise.
- Most proud moment: Some of my favorite moments have been when my wife has joined me on bass and our daughters were in the audience watching us perform. I never could have imagined something like that happening when I was starting out.
- Crazy thing that happened in your music career: I met my wife at a show at The Lizard Lounge in Cambridge. We were both playing in bands, I asked her out and we’ve created a wonderful life together ever since.
- Other things you like to do: I’m a runner. I love playing sports. I seemingly have a guitar in my hands at all times but I most enjoy hanging with my wife and kids.
- Fun facts: I graduated Magna Cum Laude from college with a degree in Economics, yet was still dumb enough to decide I should try and make a living singing and playing guitar : ). I’m somewhat ambidextrous. I’m a slow runner, but I’ve completed two half-marathons and might possibly do a full marathon if my body can tolerate it. I’m not sure it can though : )
- Mantra: My sanitized mantra is “Don’t be a jerk”. The un-sanitized version doesn’t have jerk in it.
Every week, Kruser’s Local Catch highlights New England’s homegrown country music talent, and tells you where to catch them locally and in Nashville. Click here to view previous catches.
*Singer/songwriters with original music: Please submit for consideration to be The Local Catch by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org